Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Looking at Gay Marriage from the Other Side

I don't understand homosexuality and I never have. That doesn't mean I haven't thought about what it is, what it means but that's gotten me nowhere. I'm hetero and I live in my own hetero world in a thoroughly hetero way and that's all I know.

Thinking about homosexuality did teach me one thing; it wasn't important that I didn't understand it. All that mattered was that I learned to accept it. Once you reach that point, the rest of it is really easy because it is really insignificant.

I don't like 'queens' and I don't like overt displays of homosexuality. Then again, I don't like the lady-killer types and I don't like over displays of heterosexuality either. Be whatever you want, just keep it to yourself, please.

Stephen Harper is about to reopen the gay marriage debate. It's his way of throwing a piece of red meat to his kind. To me, it's just sad.

Anyway, I recently stumbled upon a really insightful article on the American gay marriage debate, "We Play Politics With Gay Peoples' Lives." It may not help you understand homosexuality but it sure helps understand how the other side feels about this debate:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/294419_firstperson04.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John Rawls' veil of ignorance is a useful device when trying to think about how things should be: imagine everyone going into a room to decide what rules, laws, privleges, etc each person should get. When they are in the room working on this they are wearing a veil that causes them to forget who they are individually, so they need to create their society without the knowledge of who they actually are. An impossible method in real life, but thinking about people who are 'not like you' should start with thinking about yourself as being them.