Friday, December 08, 2006

Was I Wrong About Ibbitson?

I earlier wrote that the Globe & Mail's John Ibbitson's support for the Harper, social conservative government was driven by an apparent religious agenda. I came to this conclusion on reading his column today about the SSM debate in which he wrote that evangelical Christians now must ask themselves some hard questions:

"Such as, Isn't it about time we admit we've failed? That, both here and in the United States our efforts to influence the political agenda have achieved virtually nothing? That we've wasted enormous amounts of money and time electing politicians who have betrayed us, when we could and should have been bringing Good News to the world and offerng succour to those in distress?"

Ibbitson then continued for several paragraphs about how the social conservatives in the US and Canada had betrayed the religious activists and the evangelical movement.

Reading this I was left with the clear impression that "we", "our", "us" meant what they seemed, that Ibbitson was acknowledging he was a part of this movement.

Since then I've been assured that Ibbitson is not an evangelical nor has he been using his column to influence the political agenda. I assume those who have vouched for him know this personally. Perhaps the confusion arose out of his ill-chosen words. Be that as it may, I'm not interested in smearing Ibbitson. That's why I'm posting this clarification.

No comments: