Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Don't Know, Don't Care

There have been plenty of weird things happen in Iraq since the American conquest but this has to be somewhere near the top: Iraq's missing billions.

There is an $8.8-billion hole and no one can get to the bottom of it. It was part of about $22-billion of Iraqi oil revenues and left over cash that fell into the hands of the US Coalition Provisional Authority. No one can say what happened to it, who got it or for what?

David Oliver should know. Oliver was the CPA's first head of finance and in this position he resisted bringing in outside auditors. The money was Oliver's responsibility. As for the missing billions, Oliver seemed not to care much when he spoke with BBC:

"I have no idea, I can't tell you whether or not the money went to the right things or didn't - nor do I actually think it is important," he said.

Yes, but the fact is that billions of dollars have disappeared without trace.

"Of their money. Billions of dollars of their money disappeared, yes I understand, I'm saying what difference does it make?"

When you put it that way, I guess it doesn't make any difference. Huh?

No comments: