An item on the CBC web site suggests that Mr. Trudeau may appoint Chrystia Freeland to a new portfolio, perhaps deputy minister.
Trudeau is being advised to leverage Freeland's star power and place her in a role that will focus on domestic concerns.
One option that has been discussed is naming her minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, making the restoration of national unity a focus of her mandate.Mr. Trudeau's concern about the health of national unity is genuine but Chrystia Freeland is a poor vehicle to achieve that essential goal no matter how her mandate is framed or what powers she's given. That's a fast track to failure.
What we need is democratic restoration. Our's is a rotten system when a minority of voters, of those still willing to turn out to vote, can, by a margin of 34 to 38 per cent, determine who shall govern the rest and whether that will be by a minority or a majority. That's a formula for disaffection, division and the defeat of the very democracy we supposedly cherish and vow to uphold.
When fewer than 40 per cent can impose majority rule on the other 60 per cent, that's democracy in decay. It's rancid. It's rotten. In the long run it's ruinous. You cannot have democracy and yet so ruthlessly undermine it.
What can it be but arrogant to imagine that we can restore and build what had been such a great nation as ours in this way?