Thursday, September 21, 2017

"Dotard"? What In Hell is a Dotard? Oh, You Mean Trump! Okay, I Get It.



In the wake of Donald Trump's boast about wiping out North Korea if its leader, Rocketman, doesn't back down, Kim Jong Un has predictably lashed back, declaring "I will surely and definitely tame the mentally deranged American dotard with fire."

That sent me off to the dictionary where I discovered that there is such a word, dotard, and it means "an old person, especially one who has become weak or senile."

But wait, there's more. The Washington Post offers a dandy look at the word "dotard" and its popularity with Shakespeare, Chaucer, even J.R.R. Tolkien. It appears the term was particularly popular between 1599 and 1607 which, when you think about it, really isn't that long. 


3 comments:

crf said...

he's a daughtered doo-tarded dotard.

The Mound of Sound said...


Jeebus, Chris, I just about spit out my coffee.

Anonymous said...

Anyong here........I keep saying Kim, Jung-Un is an educated man. He received all of his education from Austria. Thumbs up with happy face. CRF...hilarious!!