Monday, September 17, 2012

I'm Pretty Sure

I'm pretty sure, not betting sure but close, that I'm still going to make it out of here before this place of mine gets heavily hit by climate change.

"Not betting sure" because there doesn't seem to be a solid floor of any kind underneath the global warming right now.   Just a few years ago we were warned of what was to come by the end of this century.   A few weeks ago we were warned of what might occur by the end of the next decade, 2020.

Now we're told that what we once welcomingly accepted as "end of the century" and uncomfortably squirmed with the idea that would more likely be two decades hence, is but four years distant.

Four years.   If a millennial turned somehow into a generational problem, just how do you make sense of that; how do you explain how we got it so wrong?

If we don't figure out very soon just how we got it so wrong, the sacrifice and effort in trying to fix the problem may be seen by a great many people across the political spectrum, as excessive and hence undesirable - even unacceptable.

There, I've said it.   I no longer believe my country and my fellow Canadians, even fellow Liberals or the NDP truly put the welfare of the world and the welfare of our own next generation ahead of immediate interests, their own. Those qualities, now forfeit, stand far behind and inferior to expedience and opportunity.  

Won't just one leading Opposition party finally take it up?  I'm pretty sure I won't be holding my breath.

No comments: