Friday, December 01, 2017

Flynn Flips


This should make for a great weekend on the links. Former Trump campaign aid, adviser and ex-National Security Adviser, Michael Flynn has pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI.

In other words, general Flynn has rolled over on the president of the United States, Donald Trump.

A two-page information filed Thursday in federal court lists a number of false statements that Flynn is accused of making about his interactions with Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak in late December 2016.

It says that Flynn falsely claimed that he had not asked Kislyak on Dec. 29 "to refrain from escalating the situation in response to sanctions that the U.S. had imposed against Russia," and that he didn't recall Kislyak telling him Russia had decided to moderate its response as a result of his request.



Flynn said in a statement after pleading guilty that he did so "in the best interests of my family and of our country."


"It has been extraordinarily painful to endure these many months of false accusations of 'treason' and other outrageous acts," he said.

"Such false accusations are contrary to everything I have ever done and stood for," Flynn said, noting his more than three decades of military service.

"But I recognize that the actions I acknowledged in court today were wrong, and through my faith in God, I am working to set things right. My guilty plea and agreement to cooperate with the Special Counsel's Office reflect a decision I made in the best interests of my family and of our country. I accept full responsibility for my actions."


The news launched Trump's lawyer, Ty Cobb, into full speed spin mode:

"Nothing about the guilty plea or the charge implicates anyone other than Mr. Flynn. The conclusion of this phase of the Special Counsel's work demonstrates again that the Special Counsel is moving with all deliberate speed and clears the way for a prompt and reasonable conclusion."


No comments: