Saturday, January 20, 2018

Dammit. Tom Petty Died of Accidental Drug Overdose.

The medical examiner's report lists the manner of death as "accidental."

"We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident," Petty's wife, Dana and daughter, Adria, said in a Facebook post.

Dana and Adria Petty said that the veteran musician was suffering from emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip that he was treating with medication so that he could continue touring.

"On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication," Dana and Adria Petty said.


Beijing York said...

Very saddened to hear this. For some reason, thinking he had a bad heart that crashed and gave out felt more organic. But given he was only 66 years old, I guess this makes sense. Still, what a tremendous loss.

The Mound of Sound said...

I don't know, BY. Why did he have to play if he was so grievously unfit to be on stage? Who plays with a fractured hip? Emphysema, bad knees, a fractured hip and fentanyl to make it all just barely endurable.

Gandolfini, Philip Seymour Hoffman and now Petty. It makes me so damned mad because it probably didn't have to be.

Northern PoV said...

Accident? I think not... rather a choice that I can respect and relate to.

Why do a painful last tour then choose a hasty exit?

"It is better to burn out than fade away"

Here's to Tom, may he be forever "free falling"