Thursday, May 27, 2010

Look At It This Way - A Billion Dollars is...

I was wondering how to visualize a billion dollars, nearly the amount Harper is planning to spend on three days of summit meetings in Toronto. Look what I found at http://www.wallstats.com/.

A billion dollars is:

























Now ask yourself this. How can three days of diplomatic chin wagging in Toronto exceed what it cost the Americans in 2007 to wage two active wars for two days fighting Baathists, al Qaeda and the Taliban? We're talking tanks and bombers and artillery and hundreds of thousands of troops and contractors, all running around and blowing up shit. I mean, really, how?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe you have you information incorrect. They are spending over a $1 billion for security for the G20 meeting. This is only a subtotal of the amount they plan to spend on the summit.

The Mound of Sound said...

You're right. I did write "nearly" the amount Harper is going to spend.

Okie said...

I can remember a time when Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition would taken a position of non confidence as a result of something like this.