Friday, May 01, 2020
Vox Populi. Time to Ban Assault Rifles - Finally.
"Black Guns" gotta go. The Trudeau government is planning to ban AR-15 style rifles and four out of five Canadians think it's about time.
The Liberals first proposed such a ban on 2015 but, like so many 2015 promises, that went nowhere. The recent mass carnage in Nova Scotia seems to have been enough to revive that pledge - partly. The current proposal is a watered down version of what Mr. Trudeau promised in 2015. Now, instead of a mandatory surrender/buy back, existing black gun owners will have the option to keep their AR's grandfathered into the new law. There's something so 'Justin Trudeau' about that.
78 percent of respondents to an Angus Reid survey support banning assault rifles in Canada. The remaining 22 percent disagree. Gun owners are nearly split, 55 percent opposed to a ban.
Curiously enough, when it comes to banning handguns support drops to two in three.
This is something of a dog whistle issue. In theory, assault-rifle style weapons are no more lethal than many other firearms. It's just that they connote menace to the public but also to many of those who buy them. Why settle for grandpa's old bolt gun when you can go full Rambo? It's this mentality, on display in the freaks who carry them in public in the United States, that lies at the core of this.
I support a ban and always have and I am a gun owner. I've got a lever gun, a "cowboy gun" of the sort you'll have seen wielded by Henry Fonda or Jimmy Stewart or John Wayne in the westerns. It's safely secured and, when I do get it out it's either to go to the rifle range (now closed for Covid-19) or if I'm heading out into the bush. Its "menace factor" is about the same as Jimmy Stewart and he's long departed.