Monday, March 23, 2009

Dear Michael

Hi, it's me again. I know I'm not your favourite follower but I do consider myself a genuine Liberal so I hope you'll indulge me one more time.

It's about that guy from the Jewish Defence League, Peter Kent's pal Meir Weinstein. I'm sure you heard that Weinstein has been working overtime to keep British MP George Galloway out of Canada. In response to Galloway's Canadian defenders and the MPs vow to speak to Canadians some other way, Weinstein said, “If he uses those other means, we will see to it that the Canadian government will be monitoring every individual and organization that will have anything to do with it.”

Now Mike that sounds to me like this guy is saying he'll "see to it" that the Canadian government will be spying on individuals and organizations that happen to offend the JDL. Now I don't know you very well but I have known Liberal leaders in the past and I honestly can't think of one who wouldn't stand up for Canadians and their democratic freedoms in the face of these bullying threats.

You're the leader of the Official Opposition. For that you get a nice salary, a bunch of perks and a house to boot. But you're supposed to do more than write slightly tedious book reviews for the New York Times. You're supposed to stand up for us, the Canadian people or have I just had that wrong these last 60-years?

Mike, Weinstein makes it sound as though he's got the Harper government in his pocket and it even looks like he does. The government hasn't rebuked Weinstein or repudiated his inference that he'll have them monitor dissenting Canadians.

So Mike, if the government isn't going to stand up for the Canadian people, what's your excuse?

6 comments:

Chrystal Ocean said...

Mikey's excuse is that he thinks he's in the USA. Thus all his positions are skewed as though he were electioneering to our Southern neighbours and in a system which is unlike Canada's. The man has been a "citizen of the world" (and the US) for so long, he no longer knows where he is!

The Mound of Sound said...

But Chrystal you would think that one so intimately versed in things American might question why Galloway can freely transit the United States and is only deemed a "security threat" in Canada (and, I believe, Egypt)?

Real_PHV_Mentarch said...

Great post, MoS.

Too much sugar-coating, however ...

;-)

Anonymous said...

Please put me in touch with a site where I can read about this. A. Morris South Korea.

The Mound of Sound said...

You can Google Meir Weinstein or check out Red Tory's piece on the guy here:

http://redtory.wordpress.com/2009/03/22/jdl-calling-the-shots/

You can also Google Ignatieff's response to the barring of Galloway. He ducked it by saying that maybe the guy was a "security threat" ignoring the fact that Galloway had free passage throughout Terrorism Control Central, the United Stataes.

Anonymous said...

He ducked it by saying that maybe the guy was a "security threat" ignoring the fact that Galloway had free passage throughout Terrorism Control Central, the United Stataes.
Of course Iggy ducked it - he's been busy pandering to the Israeli lobby