Thursday, January 16, 2014

It's Never Too Late


I just stumbled across a really neat site, FutureLearn.  It's a site that offers a wide range of free, online courses ranging from forensic science to climate change, business, acting, anatomy, even war studies.  These courses are provided by several British universities - University of Sheffield, U. Warwick, King's College London, etc.

I just enrolled in the climate change course to check it out and I find it really informative.  Here's an example.  Until today I wasn't aware that our greenhouse gas layer adds 33C to our temperature.  Without those gases our planet's average temperature would be -18C.

If you've got a little extra time on your hands you should think about checking it out.

4 comments:

Lorne said...

This retired high school teacher thanks you, Mound. I just found a course being offered on Hamlet, my favorite of Shakespeare's plays.

The Mound of Sound said...

You're welcome, Lorne. I'm doing the course on climate change and one in forensic science. I think I've already got the murder case figured out.

karen said...

Ah! Critical Listening for studio production! I wonder if that might help with the violin lessons I started last spring?! Cool. Thanks, MoS!

The Mound of Sound said...

Karen, I really hope this helps. I think we're on the verge of truly open learning.

I think back to my university days when we had virtually no visual aids and normally had to go to the stacks to drag out masses of books only to find one or two critical volumes already out. Today so much knowledge is at our fingertips, there for the just a few keystrokes.

At times it makes me wonder where my curiosity might have taken me had such wondrous resources been at my beck and call when I was in my teens.

Let me know what you learn.

Cheers

MoS