Sunday, November 18, 2012

Trouble Sleeping? This Works for Me.

There are nights when the brain just doesn't seem to want to shut down.   Just too damn many things racing around and you really can't put a finger on any one of them.

Thanks to the miracles of modern technology, I've found what seems to be a dandy solution, one that doesn't require medication.  I get into bed and then I reach over and turn on my (relatively cheap) Nexus 7 tablet and watch a TED Talk.  Somehow that seems to focus the mind, eliminates all the clutter, and leaves you with some powerful thoughts that, as you relax, carry you into sleep.

Things like this talk by Juan Enriquez, founding director of the Harvard Business School Life Sciences Project, discussing the evolutionary transition that mankind is at right now, a transition that could well mean your grandkids or great-grandkids will be an organism much different than you.



You might want to try it.   Works for me.

3 comments:

Lorne said...

TED is a wonderful resource, one that a friend introduced me to about a year ago. Although I don't visit it nearly often enough, its array of topics and the capacity of its speakers to elucidate even the most complex topics is astounding. In many ways it is like attending a university lecture without having to leave home.

LeDaro said...

Mound, this is great information. However, this kind of program will keep me awake for many hours thinking about the complexity of universe and life.

I watch a comedy before going to bed. It relaxes my mind and nerves and I have a chance of getting some sleep.

The Mound of Sound said...

I guess I'm lucky that way, LD. Often when I can't sleep it's like I'm trying to herd cats. When I can actually clear the slate and toss around some of the challenging thoughts from this sort of quick talk (they're limited to 18-minutes) it's very relaxing and off I go.