Monday, October 02, 2017

Tom Petty, Dead at 66.


Legendary rock star, Tom Petty, has died of cardiac failure, age 66.

In December, Petty told Rolling Stone that he thought this would be the group's last tour together. He said, "It's very likely we'll keep playing, but will we take on 50 shows in one tour? I don't think so. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was thinking this might be the last big one. We're all on the backside of our sixties. I have a granddaughter now I'd like to see as much as I can. I don't want to spend my life on the road. This tour will take me away for four months. With a little kid, that's a lot of time."

Petty, who released three solo albums and 13 albums with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, also took part in the 1980s supergroup the Traveling Wilburys with Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynne. He told Rolling Stone he was hoping to release a deluxe version of his 1994 solo album "Wildflowers" with a bonus disc of unreleased material. He had also hoped to play a special "Wildflowers" tour.


UPDATE - 

The musician may not be dead. There are reports that Petty is being kept alive on life support but isn't expected to recover.

4 comments:

Tal Hartsfeld said...

Petty suffered cardiac arrest.
And the name of his band was The Heartbreakers.
What a sad irony.

Lorne said...

We have to steel ourselves for more and more losses of the legends, Mound.

The Mound of Sound said...


He was a fine musician and a pretty decent human being.

bcwaterboy said...

Hard to pick a favourite out of so many fantastic songs but Running Down a Dream always gets my blood flowing and a smile on my face. He was so much fun to listen to on Sirrus Tom Petty Radio especially buried treasures. RIP to one of the best.