Thursday, December 14, 2006

Gunmen Kidnap Dozens in Baghdad - What Else is New?

It grates at me. I read the headlines that tell me this many dozens died here or so many dozens were kidnapped there and, every morning, it's a macabre count of how many dozens of bodies the authorities in Baghdad come across.

It grates at me because I read it and then look for something interesting. SNAFU - situation normal, all f__ked up! What is the deathometer up to now - 100 a day? Who knows? We're only getting reports out of Baghdad and, as the Iraqi Study Group report shows, we're only getting some of that at best.

I guess what troubles me most is how little this has come to trouble me. It might as well be a weather report - storm fronts looming. The darker part is that I know we all feel pretty much the same, that we've become hardened to this business. I guess what I really find frightening is not knowing how much less I can actually care as this madness drags on.

Earlier today I posted excerpts of a story from The Independent about the brutal horrors being inflicted on kids in Gaza. The post prompted a comment from someone calling himself "Ex_NDIP" who proclaimed:

"A society that trains their kids by 3 years old to hate . . . and then graduates them to bomber school by 16, with the promises of virgins and groceries is a society deemed to failure.The poor so-called Palestinanians have broken every treaty, foiled every attempt by Israel to make any kind of peace. Your writings are pure drivel . . . "

Is this what we're really becoming?

No comments: