Sunday, October 27, 2013

Lou Reed Dead, 71

Slate.com is reporting Lou Reed died today, age 71.

 The cause of death has not been announced, but Reed underwent a liver transplant in May. Reed joined up with John Cale to form the band that would later become Velvet Underground with guitarist Sterling Morrison and drummer Maureen Tucker. Although their debut album was “met with total commercial indifference when it was released,” a characteristic that mostly continued with the band’s three subsequent albums, “they’d be embraced by future generations, cementing the Velvet Underground’s status as the most influential American rock band of all time,” notes the Rolling Stone.



4 comments:

Dana said...

I saw them at The Retinal Circus, corner of Burrard and Davie, in 1968. I stood beside the speakers. I don't remember much of the evening except Sweet Jane and the volume they played at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkumhBVPGdg

Jim Parrett said...

Sister Ray is the song that turned me on to the VU. As I got older, I began to treasure his softer, more melodic side. But Sister Ray and Waiting for the Man are still in my top ten all time songs.

Elliott Taylor said...

I was very sad to read this. And on such a Perfect Day too.

Thanks for the buzz Lou. You made me forget myself. Happy trails.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the perfect songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYEC4TZsy-Y