Saturday, March 01, 2008

Can Harper Feel MacKay's Hot Breath on His Neck?


There's a curious piece in the Canadian Press, "MacKay says he has no knowledge of alleged financial offer to Cadman." My first reaction was "okay, so what?"

"I don't know anything about how this has come about. Certainly it was something that I was not involved with," said MacKay, who was in St. John's, N.L., to make a funding announcement.

"I think it's sad, quite frankly, that this seems to have come up. It's very unfortunate."

All MacKay seems to be saying is that he's lily-clean in this "unfortunate" business. No denial that Cadman was bribed. No indignant vouching for the integrity of his boss, Harpo. No accusation that the Libs are exploiting the issue to smear the prime minister. Just that "it's sad" and "frankly ...unfortunate."

I wonder if Peter sees the writing on the wall for Stevie? Just curious.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your thinking is premature.

Mulroney-Schreiber would hurt the Blue Tories more than the Cadman episode. In the end, the only Con that may emerge with his head held high is Stockwell Day. Unless the baggage he accumulated during the Klein government is not forgotten.

Fish said...

I think Day should be more concerned about the baggage he accumulated during his own term as leader of the alliance!

But yeah, interesting (though hardly surprising) that McKay has rushed to the defence of his leader! After all, who is more aware of the humiliation of being caught on tape!

The Mound of Sound said...

Oh Shroom, Day is a dog's breakfast as far as his political career is concerned. He's had his chance and blew it and he's a spent force as far as leadership is concerned.

Fish, I don't think MacKay was coming to Harper's defence, anything but.

Fish said...

Woops, that was a typo. I was trying to write "that McKay has NOT rushed to the defence of his leader!"

I guess my thoughts were working faster than fingers!